Winter Break January 2015 International and Domestic Trips Are Full!
We are no longer accepting applications for Winter Break January 2015 Trips.
Do you have some great ideas for travel locations? Join our Committee and help us decide where to travel this Spring Break 2015!
Travel. Learn. Serve.
Check out our FAQ page for some more quick information.
Alt Breaks Information
Alternative Breaks travels to economically, culturally, and environmentally diverse locations all across the United States.
Alternative Breaks provides service learning opportunities working with important issues such as the environment, education, immigration, poverty, and other unmet human needs.
Change Lives (including yours!)
Alternative Breaks exposes students to communities and immersion experiences which cannot be replicated on the UW Madison campus. These lessons and perspectives can then be applied in students' own communities.
The Alternative Breaks program provides UW-Madison students with an opportunity to participate in volunteer and educational trips to culturally diverse and economically disadvantaged communities throughout the United States.
Students are Cheap... So are our Trips.
- 1-2 week trips - $250-$500 | Weekend Trips - approximately $25
- A limited number of partial scholarships are available each trip period, awarded on an/application demonstrated need-basis.
- Trip participation is based on applications, which are available approx. 6 weeks before trips.
- Trips are open to all UW students, including international students! All participants are students. Trips have no official leader/chaperone.
- Trips operate based on a collaborative leadership model, meaning trip participants share responsibilities.
- Winter, Spring and Weekend Break trips are domestic road trips with shared driving responsibility - no visas/passports are necessary. Summer Break trips are usually offered as international trips.
Training is provided prior to departure.
All participants must attend a mandatory orientation to learn about Alternative Breaks' policies, expectations and to meet their fellow trip-goers!
The Alternative Breaks Program is a student-run committee of the Union's Student Programming Board, the Wisconsin Union Directorate (WUD).
To be a member of the awesome Alternative Breaks committee and help plan the trips and other event, please attend one of our weekly meetings (Fall , 2014 meeting times = Monday 7:30pm Memorial Union, TITU) - or send us an email!
QUESTIONS? Email us here: firstname.lastname@example.org